Saturday, May 10, 2014

Owls: Live Action!

I just stumbled on a live streaming feed from the inside of an owl box.  Currently, there is a screech owl and her baby, and one egg that appears to not have hatched.  It is black and white with audio, and definitely an insight into the true, nitty-gritty daily life of an owl, not the storybook kind.  There are some ads slipped into the feed, but it's worth to put up until the little guy's feeding time.  And the chick's little 'pay attention to me' noises are cute!

Watch the Owls!

Owls in this area are actually quite common, so I'm led to believe.  Northern Pygmy owl, elf owl, great horned owl, barn owl, burrowing owl, spotted owl, flammulated owl, western screech owl, and long eared owl all call at least some area of Arizona home.

And for the record, owls and nightjars are categorized together, often.  Photos I've seen of nightjars leave me wondering if it was an off day in the workplace when they were thought up.  They remind me of the really funky squat owl/bird hybrid statuary that were popular in the early 70's.

No comments:

Post a Comment