Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Weather Station Pt 2- Goal Setting

So, how fancy do I want my weather station?  I came up with some goals for the project::
  • I want all my readings to be taken without the assistance of electricity.
  • I want instruments as basic as possible while providing consistent and accurate data.  
  • I want to complete my weather station for less than $10. 
  • I want to record the following aspects of weather to the specified accuracy:
Temperature = to the degree
(Relative) Humidity = with approx 5% accuracy
Wind speed = to nearest 5 mph
Wind direction = to the cardinal or intermediate direction
Cloud coverage/Cloud Type = in octas / state clouds by name
Air pressure movement (Barometric pressure changes) = tell rate of change up or down
Precipitation = in nearest 1/8 inch (because I'm in a desert)

Sunset on my family farm in Erhard, MN (that's machinery, not a house)

Ironically, in completing the research to create a weather station to these goals, I found this Salem Clock website that provided great information about weather and how to make affordable, fairly accurate meters.  His projects work for both adult sensibility and a kid's sense of wonder, not just 'look alike' children's activities.

Salem Clock provided so much great information along with meter constructing ideas, I feel silly continuing, but my goals are different than his. I will provide my notes on the decisions I make regarding construction and operation of the different weather tools.  I will note the historical aspects of early recording tools and what has changed since that time, and what hasn't. I especially want to provide some ideas or templates for recording the weather, as I find this an important part of a naturalist's day.   Please comment if you know any other good websites to research, want to share projects from your past, or have factual/historical tidbits about certain weather tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment